A new, powerful Citizen Portal experience is ready. Switch now

Residents urge Winthrop School Board to rescind March 4 directive on transgender policy

March 22, 2026 | Winthrop Public Schools, School Districts, Maine


This article was created by AI summarizing key points discussed. AI makes mistakes, so for full details and context, please refer to the video of the full meeting. Please report any errors so we can fix them. Report an error »

Residents urge Winthrop School Board to rescind March 4 directive on transgender policy
Public commenters pressed the Winthrop School Board on a March 4 motion that they say directs the superintendent to revise district policy on transgender students in a way that conflicts with Maine law.

Whitney Khan, a Winthrop resident and parent, told the board she had applied for the open seat and asked the board to rescind the earlier motion, saying, “Winthrop Public Schools has made commitments to every family in this district in our five core values… Our commitment to equity… includes gender identity by name.” She warned that policy changes “will be drawn into the Maine Human Rights Commission litigation already active against seven other districts,” and said individual lawsuits might not be covered by district insurance, imposing costs on taxpayers.

Kat Hoy and other residents urged the board to wait for the citizen-initiative process now headed to the November ballot. Hoy said altering Policy JB “is in direct violation of the Maine Human Rights Act and thus exposes the school district to litigation,” and called for postponement until the initiative is resolved. Bethany Drewen, speaking for the Winthrop PTO, similarly urged following legal advice to avoid unnecessary litigation costs.

Superintendent Dr. Foley updated the board that districts represented by attorney Jack Baldacci had filed a motion to dismiss on March 6 in litigation before the Maine Human Rights Commission and that the commission has 21 days from that filing to respond. He also confirmed that enough petition signatures had been collected to place the related citizen initiative on the November ballot.

Board members and the superintendent said they would add further consideration of the item to a future agenda and requested administration input before any new policy action. Chair acknowledged a process problem at the March 4 meeting and pledged to improve advance notice and transparency. Libby asked that school administration be part of future deliberations because they implement policies daily.

The board did not take formal action to rescind or change Policy JB during the meeting; public commenters and several board members recommended postponing further action until legal developments and the citizen initiative are resolved.

View the Full Meeting & All Its Details

This article offers just a summary. Unlock complete video, transcripts, and insights as a Founder Member.

Watch full, unedited meeting videos
Search every word spoken in unlimited transcripts
AI summaries & real-time alerts (all government levels)
Permanent access to expanding government content
Access Full Meeting

30-day money-back guarantee