The Falmouth School Committee on May 12 declined to vote on a proposed Lawrence School grade configuration, choosing instead to await MSBA feasibility work and the results of a planned family survey.
Public commenter Megan Bobby told the committee the process felt ‘‘rushed and lacking meaningful engagement’’ and urged members to ‘‘slow the process down’’ and ensure families with incoming kindergarteners are heard.
Committee members debated how to proceed after receiving MSBA guidance. One committee member (speaker 2) recounted phone contacts with Massachusetts School Building Authority staff and relayed that MSBA ‘‘has no issue with the district’s decision to vote on the proposed grade configuration for the project,’’ but emphasized that the feasibility phase still requires the district to study multiple options.
Several members said they preferred waiting for the MSBA feasibility study and for survey results before taking a formal vote. One vocal member (speaker 7) criticized the process’s timing and suggested earlier meetings and family input had been curtailed; he characterized some calendar moves as a possible ‘‘delay tactic’’ tied to upcoming board membership changes. Other members responded that a feasibility study had been authorized and paid for and would supply additional, unbiased data.
The chair summarized the discussion by saying the committee would not vote that night and would work with MSBA during eligibility and feasibility steps; members reiterated intent to conduct a family survey as part of gathering more data before any vote.
The committee did not adopt a configuration and did not set a specific final vote date at the meeting. Members emphasized the need for clearer outreach — including a parent survey — and for MSBA-produced data to inform any future decision.