The Monroe County Board of Education voted to determine and authorize a reduction in force related to the upcoming transfer of Sweetwater High School to Sweetwater City Schools, and to dismiss the listed teachers effective June 30, 2026.
The chair read a document prepared by the district attorney and administration stating the transfer will eliminate a high school and reduce district enrollment, which could require eliminating positions assigned exclusively to Sweetwater High. The document said affected employees had already been notified and that dismissed teachers would be placed on a reemployment list until they accept employment elsewhere or reject multiple offers.
During questions, a board member asked how many employees would lose their jobs. A reply in the meeting said there are "26 tenured" and "23 non tenured" teachers for a total of 49 positions affected. A member also noted that staff had signed "intent to hire" forms with Sweetwater City Schools but that signing does not guarantee acceptance.
A motion to determine the RIF's necessity and to dismiss the listed teachers was made, seconded, and approved on roll call. The board packet, the chair said, includes the number of positions affected and the names of teachers listed for dismissal.