Egg Harbor Township — A steady stream of parents, students and alumni pressed the Egg Harbor Township Board of Education on May 12 to reverse proposed staffing changes that would reduce specialist music instruction in elementary and middle schools, saying the moves would hollow out the district’s long-standing band and orchestra pipeline.
Superintendent Dr. Gruscio opened the public-comment portion of the meeting by telling the packed room that "our music program in every school is not being eliminated or reduced," and said the district is required to treat personnel matters confidentially. "Students will have access to music instruction, ensembles, and performance opportunities," she said.
That assurance did little to calm the crowd. Amy Seaman, a parent who said her son has special needs and is the district salutatorian, told the board: "My senior could not do band this year because the band program was cut from 3 classes last year to 1, so it has been reduced." She added that reductions are already limiting opportunities for students who cannot afford private lessons.
Students described how early access to instrumental music had anchored their school experience. Samantha Cook, president of the high school band boosters, said eliminating Miller School’s fifth-grade entry program would ‘‘directly affect the middle and high school band and orchestra’’ because feeder-program experience is fundamental to later ensemble success. Several student speakers said moving one director between two middle schools would leave both programs understaffed and overburden remaining teachers.
Multiple speakers pointed to academic and social benefits tied to music participation. Retired band director Ben Fong and music-education advocate Robin Soden told the board that research ties music study to improved attendance, test scores and social-emotional development; many parents argued the district’s own attendance presentation earlier in the meeting showed why preserving extracurricular engagement matters.
Board members and administrators said they heard the feedback and will review the testimony. Board President Mrs Gilbert Floyd thanked the crowd for a respectful and passionate presentation and reiterated that personnel decisions are handled in closed session when appropriate.
The meeting did produce other business: the board approved finance and consent agenda items earlier in the session, heard committee reports on curriculum and policy, received a presentation on chronic absenteeism from Assistant Superintendent West, and recognized 14 district teachers and educational service professionals of the year.
What happens next: Board members said public comments and concerns will be reviewed in committee. Because personnel actions are subject to confidentiality rules, the board did not take public action on individual staffing decisions that night.