A new, powerful Citizen Portal experience is ready. Switch now

Students and parents press Mercer Island district on tort claim, coach allegations and transparency

May 14, 2026 | Mercer Island School District, School Districts, Washington


This article was created by AI summarizing key points discussed. AI makes mistakes, so for full details and context, please refer to the video of the full meeting. Please report any errors so we can fix them. Report an error »

Students and parents press Mercer Island district on tort claim, coach allegations and transparency
Students and parents told Mercer Island School District leaders they are frustrated with the district’s handling of recent abuse allegations and with what they described as vague public messaging about ongoing investigations.

A high-school student said a $13,400,000 tort claim filed Feb. 4 had raised confusion because many students believed a 60-day response window had expired. "All their information regarding the tort claim comes from InvestigateWest," the student said, asking whether the district would share a clearer status update. Superintendent Dr. Rundle said the district responded to the claimant and engaged the Washington State risk management pool and outside counsel; he cautioned that litigation processes and employment-law considerations limit what the district can proactively disclose.

Central dispute over wording: Community members cited a Mercer Island Football Club (MIFC) message they said quoted an apparent confession by coach Josh Krafzke and alleged inappropriate contact. Several speakers asked why the district’s announcement used hedging words such as "possible" and "alleged." Dr. Rundle said district communications were intentionally measured to avoid asserting facts in a way that could create legal exposure, and he said the district had been coordinating with the external organization and law enforcement.

Calls for system-level reforms: Students and parents pressed the district to do more than react to individual actors—urging audits of historical personnel files, broader student engagement with external reviewers and direct outreach to families who may have been affected. The superintendent and board described concrete steps already under way: a safety and well-being committee, a contract with consulting firm Presidium, retrospective reviews of employee files and new databases to preserve institutional records for incoming administrators.

Student-led work: A student representative, Kavya, said students created a survey after the initial allegations and received roughly 400 responses; Presidium received the survey results and is incorporating them into its final report. Kavya and other students are also producing a student‑led safety video on grooming and sexual assault.

Next steps: District leaders offered to brief student groups and meet with parents but said they would not provide a running play‑by‑play of confidential legal processes. The safety committee and Presidium’s forthcoming report were described as the immediate avenues for institutional recommendations.

View the Full Meeting & All Its Details

This article offers just a summary. Unlock complete video, transcripts, and insights as a Founder Member.

Watch full, unedited meeting videos
Search every word spoken in unlimited transcripts
AI summaries & real-time alerts (all government levels)
Permanent access to expanding government content
Access Full Meeting

30-day money-back guarantee