A parent called on the Maricopa Unified School District Governing Board May 13 to investigate alleged mismanagement of his child's special-education records and alleged improper changes to his son's seizure action plan.
Rolf Ronda addressed the board during the public-comment period and said he had sought records for three years and finally obtained some documents this week but not progress reports or report cards. "Of the records I've received, Axel's MET reports are out of compliance with no up to date testing or observations," Ronda said, and he alleged that multiple district staff members had not completed required documentation.
Ronda also alleged the district nurse had twice altered his son's seizure action plan without his signature, changing prescription information and citing a different doctor. He described the actions as illegal under Arizona statutes and called for an investigation and for Saddleback Elementary to receive new leadership. "I'm calling for accountability and an investigation," Ronda said.
Superintendent Doctor Lopeman called Ronda earlier in the day to discuss the concerns, according to Ronda's remarks; Ronda said the call was "a productive conversation" and that Lopeman "said she'd get back to me." The meeting transcript does not show a formal board response or a staff report resolving the allegations during the session.
The board did not vote on any action in response to the public comment at the meeting; under ARS 38-431.01 the board limited responses at the meeting to directing staff to study the matter, responding to criticism, or placing the item on a future agenda. The board may direct staff to investigate and report back at a subsequent meeting.