The interim 911 director told the Christian County Commission the county’s multi-year radio and shelter program is in its final 60 to 90 days and is expected to be closed out by July 1.
"We were awarded an appropriation of $8,540,000 from the federal government in December 2022," the interim 911 director said, adding that roughly $1.2 million raised by the county and cities paid for civil infrastructure — towers, shelters and utilities. He said the county received about $2,140,000 in radio equipment, describing more than 300 radios and accessories purchased as part of a countywide interoperability system.
The update framed the project as a major improvement in emergency communications. Commissioners said the new system provides coverage and in-building reception in previously dark areas, citing benefits for law enforcement and first responders. The chair praised staff coordination and urged officials to thank the project contractors and local advocates who helped secure funding.
Commissioners noted that project costs grew since initial planning, with the interim director saying early estimates around $1.6 million had risen to multimillion-dollar totals as the program matured. Commissioners also acknowledged the county’s share and singled out a former official for helping bring federal funds to the county.
No formal action was required to receive the update. The presentation concluded with commissioners expressing appreciation for the work and noting the project’s countywide safety implications.