The Port Hueneme City Council unanimously approved a citywide spring cleanup event on March 2 that will include multiple drop-off locations for bulky items, staff assistance at sites, and a free mulch giveaway designed to help the city meet SB 1383 organics-management requirements.
Public Works staff described an April 25 event with drop-off windows from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., staffing at sites to help residents unload bulky items such as washers, dryers and mattresses, and a mulch distribution component required under the state's SB 1383 organics law. "For the most part, the items that will be able to be dropped off is anything that you would put in your regular trash," staff said, and noted the city will exclude hazardous materials and will provide clear pre-event messaging about prohibited items.
Council Member Lopez said residents had asked why a spring cleanup had been paused and emphasized cost sensitivity. Staff said the event will be paid from the dedicated enterprise fund tied to trash collection and estimated the expense at roughly $10,000 once the SB 1383 mulch component is included — noting "zero general fund impact." Council discussed hazardous-waste options; staff explained the city does not collect hazardous waste at events because of cradle-to-grave liability rules and instead directs residents to the regional Clean Harbors appointment system available to Port Hueneme residents at no additional charge under the city's solid-waste contract.
Mayor Pro Tim Hernandez asked whether staff will provide unloading assistance; staff confirmed personnel will be stationed at sites to help residents carry bulky items and to load containers. After discussion, council approved the cleanup event and associated budget note unanimously.
Staff said the city will provide flyers and online messaging explaining what items are allowed at the cleanup, how to schedule hazardous-waste drop-offs (Clean Harbors), and how residents can collect the free mulch.