The Board of Public Works and Safety approved awarding the National Guard utility improvement project contract to H&G on April 21, after necessary easements from NIPCO were finalized.
Tim Werner and other staff explained the project includes tie-ins that city officials said will strengthen water flow and fire protection for the mall area and surrounding dead-end lines. Werner noted the city had delayed awarding the contract until easements were secured so contractor timelines would not begin until the project could proceed.
A board member said the improvements not only assist the National Guard facility but also address lower water-pressure issues previously experienced near the mall; staff described the award as another step in multi-year efforts to improve fire flow in vulnerable parts of the system.
The motion to award the contract passed by voice vote; staff will provide scheduling and construction updates as the project moves into implementation.