The United Nations said on Friday that the Secretary-General’s personal envoy for Sudan, Pekka Haavisto, concluded a visit to Nairobi where he held talks with Sudanese armed actors, civilian political leaders, civil society and Kenyan officials.
Steph, the UN spokesperson, said Haavisto stressed the urgent need to pursue practical measures to de-escalate the conflict and to protect civilians. The envoy reiterated that the conflict cannot be resolved through military means, according to the spokesperson, and underscored the UN’s approach of engaging all relevant stakeholders while reaffirming the sovereignty and territorial integrity of Sudan.
Steph said Haavisto will travel next to Berlin ahead of a ministerial-level International Sudan Conference scheduled for April 15; she described the Berlin meeting as an important marker and said Haavisto would publicly update on the outcomes when possible.
Journalists asked whether Haavisto would organize technical talks between the parties, and the spokesperson said it was still early to provide further details but that the envoy had already met senior figures in Khartoum and Nairobi and was moving quickly in his engagements.
The briefing did not announce concrete agreements resulting from the Nairobi meetings. The spokesperson said the UN will continue to support diplomatic efforts and monitor developments ahead of the Berlin meeting.