A new, powerful Citizen Portal experience is ready. Switch now

Glendale commission approves six-foot privacy fence at 195 East Fountain with visibility condition

March 03, 2026 | Village of Glendale, Hamilton County, Ohio


This article was created by AI summarizing key points discussed. AI makes mistakes, so for full details and context, please refer to the video of the full meeting. Please report any errors so we can fix them. Report an error »

Glendale commission approves six-foot privacy fence at 195 East Fountain with visibility condition
The Village of Glendale Historic Preservation Commission voted to approve a six-foot solid privacy fence at 195 East Fountain after the homeowner, Josh Thompson, said the fence would provide separation from an adjacent commercial district and privacy for his young children. Thompson told the commission he had already replaced a portion of the fence and was returning to request approval for the section along the right-side property line.

David (staff) told the commission that the village’s fence rules typically permit a four-foot, 50%-open fence in front and side yards, and that six-foot solid fences are not normally allowed in those zones. He said there is an exception where a residential side yard abuts a commercial district, and that the Board of Appeals recently granted a variance to allow a six-foot solid fence to extend into the front yard area with a condition requiring a minimum four-foot setback from the southern edge of the sidewalk to preserve a sight triangle. David said the four-foot minimum was based on a sight-triangle calculation commonly used by the Ohio Department of Transportation and noted that the four-foot figure is a minimum and can be exceeded.

Commissioners asked staff to verify on site that the required setback would preserve visibility for drivers and pedestrians at the nearby corner near Woodbine and Fountain; one commissioner specifically asked that staff confirm that cars approaching the corner would not be blocked by the proposed fence. Thompson said the fence will be double-picketed at the front so both sides will present pickets, that the fence will be natural pine left to weather (not stained), and that the location will be adjusted if necessary to keep an existing sign visible.

A commissioner moved to approve the application as submitted with the condition that the fence be set back a minimum of four feet from the sidewalk for sightline safety; the motion was seconded and carried on a voice vote.

Staff will verify the exact setback in the field and confirm that the fence does not create an unsafe sightline obstruction before finalizing compliance.

Don't Miss a Word: See the Full Meeting!

Go beyond summaries. Unlock every video, transcript, and key insight with a Founder Membership.

Get instant access to full meeting videos
Search and clip any phrase from complete transcripts
Receive AI-powered summaries & custom alerts
Enjoy lifetime, unrestricted access to government data
Access Full Meeting

30-day money-back guarantee