A new, powerful Citizen Portal experience is ready. Switch now

District hears capital-project update: asbestos abatement, auditorium and classroom renovations scheduled this summer

April 29, 2026 | SOUTH ORANGETOWN CENTRAL SCHOOL DISTRICT, School Districts, New York


This article was created by AI summarizing key points discussed. AI makes mistakes, so for full details and context, please refer to the video of the full meeting. Please report any errors so we can fix them. Report an error »

District hears capital-project update: asbestos abatement, auditorium and classroom renovations scheduled this summer
Mike De Vogel of Palumbo Group gave the board a detailed construction and capital-project update, outlining the district's summer schedule for phased work and asbestos remediation.

Palumbo Group's presentation said the district is closing out bond phase one at four schools and moving into phase two, which includes renovation of the 300s wing and a fitness-center upgrade; asbestos remediation is scheduled to begin at the close of the school year with substantial completion for phase two set for Aug. 24. The auditorium (bond phase 2A) will see asbestos abatement beginning June 30 and field work starting June 26, the presenter said. Phase three covers middle-school classroom renovations, practice-field work, a new walking path and high-school administrative suite upgrades, with asbestos remediation timelines and a targeted Aug. 25 completion for phase three items.

The presenter listed typical scope items for classroom and auditorium work: abatement, HVAC and lighting upgrades, stage renovation, ADA seating improvements, casework replacement and finish upgrades. He described a preseason of documentation, temporary protection plans, coordination with building staff for packing out students, and contractor mobilization timed to the end of the school year.

Board members asked for and were told there would be summer and end-of-summer walk-throughs. Administrators explained they are coordinating schedules to allow summer athletics camps and district summer programming to proceed while maximizing construction progress.

No action items were required at the meeting; the presentation was informational and the contractor said he would return for walk-throughs and further updates. Board members thanked the presenter and reiterated their interest in close coordination to avoid impacts on summer programming.

The district previously noted it will continue practicing safety drills and rotate such drills across schools; the presentation emphasized asbestos removal will be staged to minimize disruption, starting with the most affected areas and proceeding through demo and renovation as school buildings empty for summer.

View the Full Meeting & All Its Details

This article offers just a summary. Unlock complete video, transcripts, and insights as a Founder Member.

Watch full, unedited meeting videos
Search every word spoken in unlimited transcripts
AI summaries & real-time alerts (all government levels)
Permanent access to expanding government content
Access Full Meeting

30-day money-back guarantee