Manchester Fire Chief Ben Williams told the county April 28 that the city has already committed roughly $20,000 toward fireworks for its July 2 Fourth of July celebration and is seeking additional donations or assistance to cover increased costs and expected higher attendance.
"This year's Fourth of July fireworks celebration ... will be on Thursday, July 2nd," Chief Ben Williams said, noting last year’s attendance was roughly 4,000–5,000 and that this year’s event could draw more people. Williams said the city had already signed a fireworks contract and was asking the county to consider a donation similar to prior years when the county contributed $10,000 in some years and smaller amounts in others.
Commissioners discussed sponsor fundraising, the deadline for commitments and the precedent of relying on sponsorships rather than taxpayer funds. One commissioner moved to table the request and bring it back at the May 26 meeting to allow more time for discussion; the motion passed.