A new, powerful Citizen Portal experience is ready. Switch now

Council committee accepts low bid to extend Story Boulevard amid county funding dispute

May 05, 2026 | Cheyenne, Laramie County, Wyoming


This article was created by AI summarizing key points discussed. AI makes mistakes, so for full details and context, please refer to the video of the full meeting. Please report any errors so we can fix them. Report an error »

Council committee accepts low bid to extend Story Boulevard amid county funding dispute
Mayor Patrick Collins and City Engineer Tom Cobb presented the finance committee with bids to extend Story Boulevard east to Whitney Road, describing the project as a key east-side connection intended to relieve traffic pressure on Del Range Boulevard and serve future Whitney Ranch growth.

Cobb explained the city had previously secured property and completed design work, and that the county had initially offered to pay approximately $727,986.60 for its gravel-road portion. Over time the county’s participation letters increased (Cobb said the county later offered to raise its participation to $936,606.7 and then to $1,161,510.60). Cobb said the difference between the county’s final offer and the calculated county share left roughly a $34,393 shortfall on the lowest bid.

The county commissioners who joined online — including Commissioner Thompson and Commissioner Malm — explained their perspective: they said earlier estimates were lower, that project scope changes (including a retaining wall and curb-and-gutter elements) pushed costs higher and that the county should not be required to pay for elements that convert a county road into a city-standard road. Thompson explained the county increased its contribution compared with earlier offers but said it was not responsible for costs arising from city-driven design decisions.

Council members debated three options: reject bids and restart, build the full project with city coverage of the shortfall, or build only the city’s portion and leave the county to decide on completing its segment later. Several council members said the project should move forward and that delays would only increase costs; one emphasized the public-safety and traffic benefits of completing the link now to provide an alternate route.

Councilman Moody moved to accept the low bid from Ryman Corporation for $3,493,630.85; the motion was seconded and the committee voted to recommend approval to the governing body. Council members said the city will continue discussions with the county on cost-sharing but expressed intent to proceed so construction can begin this summer if schedules allow.

View the Full Meeting & All Its Details

This article offers just a summary. Unlock complete video, transcripts, and insights as a Founder Member.

Watch full, unedited meeting videos
Search every word spoken in unlimited transcripts
AI summaries & real-time alerts (all government levels)
Permanent access to expanding government content
Access Full Meeting

30-day money-back guarantee