The council voted May 4 to broaden a long‑standing program that helps homeowners connect to municipal water and sewer lines installed after the city’s 2006 annexation. Staff presented three options for changing the program to address both a long delay in construction schedules and upfront cost barriers for households.
What changed: Council adopted staff’s Option Two, which removes the two‑year application window, expands income eligibility to 120% of area median income (AMI) and focuses assistance on reducing the household’s assessment burden. Under the adopted approach staff said the city would provide up to $5,000 toward the assessment for eligible households and up to $1,000 toward plumbing/connection costs. Staff estimated that the change could increase general‑fund costs (projected additional annual cost on the order of tens of thousands of dollars) and asked council to include a funding allocation during the budget process.
Council debate and vote: Members described this as a corrective measure after long planning delays and rising costs. Supporters said the upfront subsidy will remove a principal barrier that prevents lower‑ and middle‑income residents from connecting to the municipal system. One councilmember urged council to monitor capacity at the utility and to press the water authority to accelerate construction schedules. Council voted in favor of Option Two; the record shows two members voted in opposition. Staff will return with specific budget language.
Details: The current program previously paid $2,000 of a $5,000 assessment for households at up to 80% AMI; staff’s adopted option raises assistance and income eligibility and shifts emphasis from modest assessment discount to larger, near‑term connection aid for low‑ and moderate‑income households.