Fayetteville City Council voted April 27 to permanently close several platted but never-built street segments in the Cedar Rose subdivision after staff said required notices were delivered and no formal objections were received.
Planning staff told the council that the sections of Maxwell Street, McDonald Street and an unnamed right-of-way had been platted in the 1920s but were never constructed or accepted for maintenance by the city. "This portion of Maxwell Street is in the Cedar Rose edition subdivision ... it's never been constructed or open," staff said during the hearing, and noted that a utility easement would be reserved and that police, fire and utility providers had been consulted.
Developer and speaker Sonjay Kajonski supported the closures, saying the parcels have access from other streets and that permanent closure would enable development plans without depriving neighbors of access. One resident, Jay Wender, spoke in opposition to one closing, citing personal hardship and neighborhood concerns including noise and crime; staff and council responded that the hearing process was intended to let neighbors raise such concerns prior to a vote.
Councilmember Davis moved to adopt the resolutions to close the McDonald Street portion and the unnamed right-of-way off Cedar Creek; Councilmember Hondros seconded and the measures passed unanimously.
Staff said utility easements will be reserved where needed and that the closures follow North Carolina statutory procedures for road vacations and associated public notices. The recorded actions direct staff to file the necessary instruments and update city records.