A new, powerful Citizen Portal experience is ready. Switch now

Planning commission delays decision on PUD rezoning of South Main properties after questions over drive‑thru and mixed uses

March 12, 2026 | Lapeer City, Lapeer County, Michigan


This article was created by AI summarizing key points discussed. AI makes mistakes, so for full details and context, please refer to the video of the full meeting. Please report any errors so we can fix them. Report an error »

Planning commission delays decision on PUD rezoning of South Main properties after questions over drive‑thru and mixed uses
The Lapeer City Planning Commission voted on March 12 to postpone indefinitely a request by Leier Property Associates LLC to rezone three parcels on South Main Street from R1 (single‑family) to Planned Unit Development (PUD).

The motion to postpone — made by Commissioner Grant and supported by the commission — followed a staff presentation and extended questioning by commissioners over whether the applicant had supplied required narrative materials and whether the proposed mix of uses fit the city’s master plan and zoning intent.

Senior planner Wade Burke Holder told the commission the application’s conceptual plan calls for an 8,000‑square‑foot retail center, a gas station with an on‑site food service vendor and drive‑thru, a potential office/storage building and multifamily housing. He noted the three parcels had been annexed into the city within the last five years and that staff had treated that annexation as a change in conditions supporting consideration of the rezoning, but that the applicant had not responded to staff comments on the file.

Commissioners raised multiple concerns. Commissioner Atwood questioned whether a PUD could be used to avoid special‑use review for drive‑thrus and fast‑food restaurants and whether the proposed industrial/storage use and multifamily housing were appropriate adjacent to existing residential neighborhoods. Another commissioner warned that allowing drive‑thrus closer to the I‑69 corridor could create a “domino effect” of relocations by other fast‑food operators, potentially siphoning pass‑by traffic away from downtown.

Several commissioners asked whether a traffic study or additional site‑specific studies should be required prior to recommendation; the planner said such matters are typically addressed during site‑plan review but acknowledged the questions were relevant to the rezoning deliberation. Commissioners also noted the applicant had not submitted required narrative material addressing project objectives, market needs, impacts to schools and utilities, circulation and other items listed in the ordinance.

Commissioner Grant’s motion to postpone was amended to require submission of the missing materials and to allow the new planning consultant time to review the application. The commission recorded the voice vote as unanimous in favor.

What happens next: the planning staff and consultant will contact the applicant to request the outstanding documents and coordinate next steps. Because the commission opened and closed the public hearing at tonight’s meeting, staff advised the commission that continuing the hearing to a future date may require renoticing depending on the legal requirements for re‑opening a public hearing.

Quote: "I think we should give time for the applicant to submit the required materials," Commissioner Grant said when moving to postpone.

The commission’s postponement is procedural — the application was not denied but will not advance until the applicant provides the requested materials and staff has had time to address commissioners’ questions.

View the Full Meeting & All Its Details

This article offers just a summary. Unlock complete video, transcripts, and insights as a Founder Member.

Watch full, unedited meeting videos
Search every word spoken in unlimited transcripts
AI summaries & real-time alerts (all government levels)
Permanent access to expanding government content
Access Full Meeting

30-day money-back guarantee