A new, powerful Citizen Portal experience is ready. Switch now

Mendocino LAFCO reviews midyear budget, cites litigation-driven legal costs and approves $10,000 reserve transfer

February 03, 2026 | Mendocino County, California


This article was created by AI summarizing key points discussed. AI makes mistakes, so for full details and context, please refer to the video of the full meeting. Please report any errors so we can fix them. Report an error »

Mendocino LAFCO reviews midyear budget, cites litigation-driven legal costs and approves $10,000 reserve transfer
Mendocino County Local Agency Formation Commission members reviewed a midyear financial report and work plan that showed delays in planned studies and a significant rise in legal expenses tied to litigation and extensive Public Records Act (PRA) requests.

The Executive Officer told the commission the adopted fiscal-year budget is $328,500 and that revenue sources include apportionments (historically $275,000), interest on reserves and service fees. As of early December staff reported roughly 40% of apportionments had been collected and about $3,000 in service-fee revenue had been recorded for the first half of the fiscal year. Midyear expenditures were described as approximately $45,000, about 45% of the budget. The Executive Officer reported that an extensive PRA request and related lawsuit produced unanticipated staff and legal-counsel workload; legal-counsel expenditures attributed to that work were reported at roughly $97,000 on that line as of early January, with about 62% tied directly to the litigation and PRA work.

To address the overage, staff proposed a budget amendment to shift $10,000 from legal reserves into the active legal-services budget line. Commissioners questioned alternatives (shifting other work‑plan funds, using remaining work-plan savings) and sought clarity on reserve policy. Staff explained the policy minimum for legal reserves is $35,000, while prior commission direction had aimed at $50,000; after the proposed transfer the reserves would remain above the policy threshold but below previous commission guidance. County Counsel Birch offered to provide a more detailed litigation update in closed session.

Commissioner Roden moved the $10,000 transfer and Commissioner Horsley seconded. The commission approved the amendment by roll-call vote; Commissioner Ward said he voted in favor reluctantly, citing concerns about re-funding reserves next budget cycle. The agenda packet referenced a draft resolution to formalize the transfer.

During the financial discussion staff also described a planned countywide white paper and a multi-year study of fire and emergency medical service providers that will include 18 districts and coordination with the Fire Safe Council coordinator and Fire Chiefs Association. The white paper is intended as a baseline to identify common service issues and to guide subsequent, individual municipal service reviews.

The commission approved the reserve transfer and directed staff to proceed with the work plan and to report back as scheduled.

View the Full Meeting & All Its Details

This article offers just a summary. Unlock complete video, transcripts, and insights as a Founder Member.

Watch full, unedited meeting videos
Search every word spoken in unlimited transcripts
AI summaries & real-time alerts (all government levels)
Permanent access to expanding government content
Access Full Meeting

30-day money-back guarantee