A new, powerful Citizen Portal experience is ready. Switch now

Commission accepts Phase 1 historic resource report: Mitchell Street house not eligible but sandstone wall qualifies

January 28, 2026 | Santa Barbara City, Santa Barbara County, California


This article was created by AI summarizing key points discussed. AI makes mistakes, so for full details and context, please refer to the video of the full meeting. Please report any errors so we can fix them. Report an error »

Commission accepts Phase 1 historic resource report: Mitchell Street house not eligible but sandstone wall qualifies
The Santa Barbara Historic Landmarks Commission voted Jan. 28 to accept a Phase 1 historic resource report for 128 West Mitchell Street that concludes the 1916 craftsman bungalow itself is not eligible for designation as a City landmark or structure of merit, while identifying the adjacent chiseled sandstone retaining wall as a qualifying historic resource.

Provenience Group Inc. architectural historian Carol Denardo presented the report, summarizing archival research, Sanborn maps and permit records and concluding that, while the home shows typical craftsman features, its materials and many later alterations mean it does not meet the city's criteria for landmark designation. Denardo's report singled out the sandstone wall as a high-value streetscape feature that "possesses high artistic and historic value" and recommended local register status for that wall.

The applicant, Alex Puccio, told the commission the owner had proposed demolition because the house has widespread structural deterioration and "The reason, we're here the reason we proposed to demolish this residence is because it's in such poor condition that it is not not feasible to keep it." Neighbors spoke during public comment about the block's character; Michael Acton, owner of 126 West Mitchell, told the commission he had been told by an architect years ago that "those stone walls are are untouchable," and said he will follow the proceedings.

Commission discussion focused on the line between an individual property's significance and the value of the street's collective features. Commissioners questioned specific changes (roofing, skirting, window replacements and later additions) that the report cites as reasons the house no longer conveys original integrity, and repeatedly emphasized the commission's interest in preserving the sandstone wall. Staff clarified that accepting the Phase 1 report concerns only the report's conclusions and "the demolition is not before you today," and that if the wall is accepted as historic the full project would later trigger additional historic review to avoid negative impacts on that wall.

Commissioner Jordan moved to accept the report; Commissioner Lodge seconded. The roll-call vote recorded six in favor, one against (Vice Chair Ullie), and the motion passed. With the report accepted, the sandstone retaining wall will be added to the local register of historic places and future proposals for the property will require project-level review to assess impacts to the wall. The commission did not determine or authorize demolition in this hearing; any demolition proposal would be a separate action and, if it proposed removal of the sandstone wall, would trigger additional environmental and design review.

Next steps: staff will update the local register documentation to include the sandstone wall and will circulate any required Phase 2 historic resource report or project-level HSR if and when a demolition or design application is filed.

Don't Miss a Word: See the Full Meeting!

Go beyond summaries. Unlock every video, transcript, and key insight with a Founder Membership.

Get instant access to full meeting videos
Search and clip any phrase from complete transcripts
Receive AI-powered summaries & custom alerts
Enjoy lifetime, unrestricted access to government data
Access Full Meeting

30-day money-back guarantee