A new, powerful Citizen Portal experience is ready. Switch now

McHenry County weighing end to mass mailed assessment notices to save about $76,600

December 05, 2025 | McHenry County, Illinois


This article was created by AI summarizing key points discussed. AI makes mistakes, so for full details and context, please refer to the video of the full meeting. Please report any errors so we can fix them. Report an error »

McHenry County weighing end to mass mailed assessment notices to save about $76,600
McHenry County officials told the Finance & Audit Committee on Dec. 4 that the assessor's office is studying a change to its mailing practice that would stop sending full printed assessment notices to every property owner in off (non‑quadrennial) years.

The assessor's office reported that the county mailed about 145,000 assessment notices last year while it is legally required to mail only about 19,000 notices when property records change. Staff presented preliminary cost estimates showing printing costs of about $22,000 and postage around $73,000 in 2024 for a combined $95,000. A targeted mailing model that sends notices only to parcels with changes could reduce printing to about $3,400 and postage to about $15,000, for an estimated annual savings of roughly $76,600 in non‑quadrennial years.

The assessor warned the committee that the proposal represents a service reduction: historically mailed notices provide a visible prompt that starts the 30‑day appeal clock and help homeowners discover and challenge assessments. "This notice that we send out to you every year is your opportunity to audit the work that we do," the assessor said, while acknowledging the budgetary pressure pushing the proposal.

County Administrator Scott and CFO Carrie said staff would propose alternative outreach channels — a streamlined postcard, enhanced website templates that publish assessment files, coordinated electronic notices through Treasurer Donna Kurtz, press releases and social media— to backstop the reduction in mailed notices. Carrie emphasized that the legal trigger for the 30‑day appeal period remains the publication in the newspaper and cannot be eliminated; any change in printed mailings would therefore need clear public communication about how and when the appeal window begins.

Board members raised concerns about equity and access for residents who rely on mail or who are unfamiliar with townships and online tools. One member urged a phased approach that begins with the next non‑quadrennial year so residents can be trained to use online resources and so staff can test postcard or integrated tax-bill messaging. The assessor said roughly 500 appeals were filed last year and that appeals historically reached into the thousands in prior market conditions, underscoring the public‑service trade-offs.

Committee members asked staff to develop a communications plan, evaluate a postcard option, identify costs for an electronic-notice opt‑in, and return with more precise vendor/printing quotes and timeline options. No formal policy change was adopted at the meeting; staff will return with implementation details and legal-check confirmations.

Next steps: staff to prepare a phased implementation plan with cost estimates, legal review of notice requirements and specific communication and outreach measures to ensure residents are informed about the assessment and appeal process.

Don't Miss a Word: See the Full Meeting!

Go beyond summaries. Unlock every video, transcript, and key insight with a Founder Membership.

Get instant access to full meeting videos
Search and clip any phrase from complete transcripts
Receive AI-powered summaries & custom alerts
Enjoy lifetime, unrestricted access to government data
Access Full Meeting

30-day money-back guarantee