At the Dec. 16 meeting, Bexley City Council moved to table Ordinance 32-25, a proposed update to the city's disturbing-the-peace noise rules, to allow further study and presentations from the police department and the mayor in January.
Mister Silverman, who introduced the ordinance earlier, said the council would schedule presentations on current noise enforcement statistics and decibel examples "so everybody" can see how proposed thresholds will work in practice. During public comment, resident Spencer Cahoon asked the council to clarify drafting issues and to add a presumptive duration in the ordinance's text. Cahoon cited a local apartment gate that emits a recurring mechanical sound for 20 to 40 minutes and said neighbors had been told the city could not act unless the sound could be shown to persist for two hours.
Cahoon recommended a short, clear duration threshold be added to help enforcement and reduce ambiguity for residents and officers. Council members expressed appreciation for pausing the ordinance to take a "deeper dive" and for returning with data and examples that could make enforcement more workable.
Mister Silverman moved to table Ordinance 32-25; Mister Marcelino seconded. The motion passed by roll call vote with all members present voting yes.
What happens next: staff and the police department will prepare presentations (including decibel-level examples and current response statistics) and council will revisit the ordinance in January, with the draft revised as needed before any further readings.