A new, powerful Citizen Portal experience is ready. Switch now

Nueces County extends July flood disaster declaration as recovery continues

July 14, 2021 | Nueces County, Texas


This article was created by AI summarizing key points discussed. AI makes mistakes, so for full details and context, please refer to the video of the full meeting. Please report any errors so we can fix them. Report an error »

Nueces County extends July flood disaster declaration as recovery continues
County Judge opened the July 14, 2021 Nueces County Commissioners Court by calling for action to continue the county's July flood-event disaster declaration to preserve response and recovery authorities.

Melissa Munguia, an emergency-management official, told the court the county remains in a hybrid recovery-response phase after flooding in May and July and recommended keeping the declaration in place in case state or federal authorities combine events and the county seeks additional assistance. She named vulnerable areas that experienced flooding, including the Bluebonnet neighborhood, Tierra Grande and stretches along the lower Nueces River.

Munguia said the county has been documenting damage and continuing to gather data on road and culvert damage and other costs. She described purchases made so far, saying water pumps were the primary immediate resource bought to remove standing water and protect lift stations; she reported Coastal Parks received two pumps and noted prior purchases of two and three units in earlier responses. Munguia and commissioners discussed the county's need for vegetation- and debris-removal equipment, noting Public Works owns some machinery and the county contracts for heavier debris work when necessary.

The judge also announced a hotline (reported in the record as 888-0111) and an online portal to allow residents to submit photos, invoices and other documentation to support individual assistance requests; Munguia said the information will help if a federal declaration is later made. She advised residents to save photographs and receipts and said county guidance will be available on DisasterAssistance.gov and on county web pages.

A motion to adopt the order continuing the July 2021 flood-event disaster declaration was made and seconded and the court voted by voice to approve the order. The county said the declaration will remain in effect until recovery needs cease and the court can rescind it when appropriate.

Commissioners acknowledged mutual-aid commitments and offers of help from Drainage District No. 2 and discussed purchasing surplus pumps for rural areas. The judge urged coordination with cities and community-based locations to reach residents and emphasized that continued spending under the declaration helps the county and its municipal partners prepare for possible additional rainfall.

The court moved on to other agenda items following the vote; staff said they will provide outreach materials and contact information to commissioners so they can inform constituents about assistance.

Don't Miss a Word: See the Full Meeting!

Go beyond summaries. Unlock every video, transcript, and key insight with a Founder Membership.

Get instant access to full meeting videos
Search and clip any phrase from complete transcripts
Receive AI-powered summaries & custom alerts
Enjoy lifetime, unrestricted access to government data
Access Full Meeting

30-day money-back guarantee