A new, powerful Citizen Portal experience is ready. Switch now

Washington County board approves virtual plan for Williamsport High as building remains closed

August 20, 2025 | Washington County Public Schools, School Boards, Maryland


This article was created by AI summarizing key points discussed. AI makes mistakes, so for full details and context, please refer to the video of the full meeting. Please report any errors so we can fix them. Report an error »

Washington County board approves virtual plan for Williamsport High as building remains closed
The Washington County Board of Education on Aug. 19 approved a virtual education plan to start the school year for Williamsport High School while the school building remains unavailable.

District officials said the plan covers student instructional schedules, attendance, staffing and personnel assignments, student supports, transportation, food and nutrition services, and technology. The board voted unanimously to approve the plan.

Superintendent Dr. Sovine (superintendent) and district staff said the goal of the plan is to “protect the Williamsport High School schedule” so students remain assigned to the teachers they selected and to avoid creating multiple master schedules. Staff said they want marking periods to proceed with the same teachers where possible to preserve instructional continuity.

District staff described a mix of approaches to provide in-person options for students with greater needs, including arrangements for students with special education needs and multilingual learners at a site provided through a partnership. The district also said it is exploring community sites where students could receive supervised, in-person support and that some extracurricular activities (including certain sports and band) will continue at Williamsport or other agreed-upon locations.

Board members and staff emphasized communication with families and the community and said the district set up a Williamsport-specific page on its website to post updates. Several board members thanked community partners, including a local college and area churches, for offering space and assistance.

During discussion, board members and staff repeatedly framed virtual start as a temporary measure and said they are pursuing options to return students to in-person instruction as soon as it is safe and feasible. The board approved the plan unanimously.

The board and superintendent reiterated that student safety is the district’s first priority and said concerns raised about asbestos exposure were unfounded; the board stated no students had been exposed.

View the Full Meeting & All Its Details

This article offers just a summary. Unlock complete video, transcripts, and insights as a Founder Member.

Watch full, unedited meeting videos
Search every word spoken in unlimited transcripts
AI summaries & real-time alerts (all government levels)
Permanent access to expanding government content
Access Full Meeting

30-day money-back guarantee